Amigurumi | The Beginner's Quick Guide


Welcome everyone! I hope your chilly Valentine's Day preparations have gone well for you. Meanwhile, I'm sitting here in front of my desktop bringing you a new post. And what else to discuss in February (other than cozy scarves) than the adorable art of amigurumi??


Amigurumi, 'ami' for short, is the Japanese art of making crochet or knit stuffed animals. I'm not saying that amigurumi is limited to just animals... like seriously. Check out these insanely adorable amigurumi rainbow donut unicorns by Super Cute Design.

Amigurumi is a funky word, but it actual derives from two Japanese words... ami and nuigurumi. Ami means crocheted or knitted and nuigurumi means stuffed doll. Not only can we thank the Japanese for giving us the inspiration for these anthropomorphic creatures, but they actually have quite a history in textile arts. From spinning silk or practicing sashiko, to zanshi and sakiori weaving. The Japanese were definitely advance in their crafts.


But just like any other crochet project you'll encounter, amigurumi has a specific set of tools you will need. Other than a hook and yarn... there are some 'special' tools that will help you along the way.

yarn


First things first, you'll want to find the right yarn. Though every pattern varies, most amigurumi is made of DK or worsted weight yarn. You'll need different kinds of yarn depending on the circumstances.


crochet hook


Next up is to find the perfect crochet hook. Since amigurumi can get tiny, its important to find a crochet that sits comfortably in your hand. Amigurumi calls for a smaller hook than recommended. Often times I use a 2.5 mm to a 3.75 mm hook for my ami projects. The reason why is to keep your stitching tight. We use the single crochet stitch and tight tension so that the stuffing doesn't start falling out over time. Which leads me to my next point.

stuffing

When shopping for stuffing there are a few different kinds. I use either Poly-Fil or recycled yarn scraps. I won't lie, sometimes I even use buffalo snow from my Christmas tree!! Either way make sure that you keep your stuffing in a dust free area. 


stitch markers

Another super handy tool to have is stitch markers. Though it may seem like it's only a notion, they can really come a long way in these kinds of projects. Most ami patterns are worked in the round, meaning that they go in a continuos spiral without joining the row. Stitch markers help you keep track of where your round starts and ends. There are also tons of different stitch markers. Find one that suits your taste!


safety toy eyes

Safety eyes are more than likely my favorite part of amigurumi! They're the adorable little eyes on all your projects. They come in so many different sizes, shapes, colors, and kinds that its impossible to collect them all. Safety eyes are what add life to your little creatures, I think you'll agree.


misc

There are tons of hacks and extra tools for amigurumi. There are so many creatives just like you who have gone beyond the basics. to find more ideas I turn to Pinterest. I garentee you'll find something interesting.




If you'd like to see more on amigurumi tools or techniques... make sure you like and share this post! I'd love to write even more on amigurumi. Til next time!!!



Comments

  1. I love these tips, and that elephant. You have a real gift!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts