Simple Cowl | Free Pattern

This pattern has been revised on January 9, 2016.


Hello and welcome back!

This past week, I was at Michael's picking up the last of the post-holiday sales when I came by a new yarn. Country Loom by Loops & Threads is a soft and chunky yarn with color ways you won't forget. 

After picking up a skein for myself in the shade Kiss Me, I grabbed a 9mm hook and started brainstorming. I ended up chaining a foundation of 60 stitches. I then made a slip stitch into the first chain that I made to form a big ring.



For the the first row, I chained 2 and double crocheted into each stitch. At the end I slip stitched into the first double crochet. Once I had decided to make the entire body of the cowl in a simple double crochet stitch I continued on until I ran our of yarn.


Once I fastened off, I wondered what I could add to the cowl to give it a little extra detail. After considering flows, motifs, and many colors of yarn I chose to add a simple chain. 

I got out my favorite shade of Vanna's Choice and a 3.75mm crochet hook and chained about 140. My chain started to form little curls... and so I began calling it a 'frill'.



To attach my little frill, I took a 6mm hook and wove it in and out of each row. You can see below how easy it was.


Then I took the end of my chain and pulled it through the rows. Now it looked kind of like a dotted line!


Next I repeated those same steps, on the other side. I was left with a U shape.


Afterwards, pull on the two ends to scrunch up the fabric.



Finally, I tied a bow to finish it up. Now you your very own beginner-friendly cowl!!

Here's the free pattern...


Simple Cowl Pattern

Materials

  • 1 skein of Loops & Threads Country Loom yarn
  • Scarp yarn of your choice
  • 9mm crochet hook
  • A darning needle ( for sewing in ends)
  • A pair of scissors

Notes

  • The body of the cowl will be made using the Country Loom yarn. The scrap yarn of your choice is for the accents (frill, flower, motif, etc).
  • I used a 9mm hook because it was recommended on my yarn label. However, even though is no gauge, you may use whatever hook you'd like too.
  • Make sure that since it is a chunkier yarn that you use a large eye needle.
  • I used one full skein for the main part of my cowl.

Pattern

Ch 60. Sl st into the first ch, make sure not to twist.

Row 1- Ch 2, dc in each st. Join to the very first dc.
Row 2 to 10- Rep the first row.

That's it! Fasten off. From here you can add any embellishments you'd like.

I can't wait to see what you guys come up with! Tell me below what you added to your new cowl.



That's all I have for today, if you're ready for more remember to subscribe to the blog on your right side. If you love this cowl as much as I do, please share it with your beginner friends. Its a fun and easy introduction to crochet so invite them.

I'll see you next week!!

Comments

Popular Posts